Saturday, September 23, 2006

PEI 2006 Itinerary

I have gotten a once in a lifetime invitation to stay at a new friend's cottage in Prince Edward Island for a week and a half of writing and contemplation. This has long been a dream of mine; if Lucy Maud Montgomery was inspired to write the Anne books on the island, imagine what even a week might do for the eager mind of a beginning writer.

I have decided to drive up as I love the idea of having Gypsy with me so that I can explore all the far corners of the island I've never visited before, and I love any excuse for a good road trip. In good autumn gypsy spirit, I have planned a three-week literary jaunt to PEI and back. Since I have just taken the new job of "book expert" with Wholeheart, I decided to begin my work with an official literary tour; I'm stopping at six or seven homes of great authors on the way up, as well as a bunch of little New England bookshops where I'll sleuth out some new titles for the catalogue.

Here's a highlight of the fun bits of the trip:

The Evergreens: Emily Dickinson's home in Amherst, MA
Orchard House: The Alcott home, from which Louisa May wrote Little Women
Walden Pond: The famous retreat of Thoreau
The Frost Place: The beloved home of the poet
Green Gables: Does it need explaining
Dalvay-by-the-Sea: Otherwise known as "The White Sands Hotel" in all Anne movies

That's just a taste. I'm staying with some wonderfully hospitable families all along the way and I'm taking my camera. So, come back for pictures and travelogue. The journey is just beginning...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have provided me with almost an hour of true pleasure. I can't wait for your other posts. May God give wind to your wings as you fly across His beauty and goodness hidden in the corners of His creation. Thank you for providing some of us with joy as we see it all through your eyes.

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

True. Good stuff.

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home